Date of birth : -
Date of death : -
Birthplace : Des Moines, Iowa
Nationality : American
Category : Arts and Entertainment
Last modified : 0000-00-00
Slipknot is an American alternative/nu metal band from Des Moines, Iowa. Formed in 1995, the group was founded by percussionist Shawn Crahan and bassist Paul Gray.
After several lineup changes in their early days, currently the band consisted of nine members for the greater part of their tenure:
- Sid Wilson,
- Paul Gray,
- Joey Jordison,
- Chris Fehn,
- Jim Root,
- Craig Jones,
- Shawn Crahan,
- Mick Thomson, and
- Corey Taylor.
However, the death of Paul Gray on May 24, 2010, left the band with only eight remaining members. Former guitarist Donnie Steele will be the band’s touring bassist in 2011.
Slipknot is well known by their attention-grabbing image, aggressive music style and chaotic live shows. The band had somewhat of a meteoric rise to success following the release of their self-titled debut album, Slipknot, in 1999.
Iowa was released in 2001 and was well received by critics and fans, a position repeated with their third studio release in 2004, Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses). Both albums sold in sufficient quantities to be awarded platinum status.
Alongside their careers with Slipknot, various members of the band have enjoyed many successful side projects and collaborations, including Joey Jordison with The Murderdolls, Corey Taylor with Stone Sour, Shawn Crahan in To My Surprise, and both Gray and Jordison in Roadrunner United].
In spite of concerns that the hiatus since their 2004 album was, in fact, a split, a new album, All Hope is Gone, was released in August 2008. In 2011, tour dates were announced for Slipknots 2011 and 2012. They also announced that Donnie Steele, Slipknots original guitarist and cofounder, would be filling in for Paul Gray on bass.
Paul Gray passed away on May 24, 2010 due to an overdose of morphine, and was found in his hotel room.
Awards and recognition:
- "Wait and Bleed" – Best Metal Performance, 2001 (nomination)
- "Left Behind" – Best Metal Performance, 2002 (nomination)
- "My Plague" – Best Metal Performance, 2003 (nomination)
- "Duality" – Best Hard Rock Performance, 2005 (nomination)
- "Vermilion" – Best Metal Performance, 2005 (nomination)
- "Before I Forget" – Best Metal Performance, 2006 (winner)
- "Psychosocial"- Best Metal Performance, 2009 (nomination)
- Slipknot: Double Platinum (February 2001)
- Iowa: Platinum (October 2002)
- Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses): Platinum (February 2005)
- 9.0: Live: Gold (December 2005)
- All Hope Is Gone: Platinum (August 2010)
View the full website biography of Slipknot (band).